29 August 2011

Always Learning.

This past weekend I got to enjoy some quality shooting time with my old friend the Mamiya/Sekor 500dtl.  My wife and I went to the International Festival in St. Louis and there were just an immense amount of people there.

When I had time I found myself attempting to shoot like Winogrand:  I set myself up in a busy area and just stood there with the crowd moving and milling around me.  It was intense!  I felt so immersed in the people.  I tried to smile and make eye contact and hopefully keep a mug that would help people feel at ease and not freak them out.  I didn't get shouted at once, they just kept moving.  I got some weird looks, sure.  But, all in all it was event free. 

When I got home, though, I'd already begun thinking.  It was taking me far too long to find the shot, frame the shot, focus... focus... then shoot.  I'd preset my meter and stayed in an area where the metering would be ideal.  But, the focusing.  That's when I came across an article discussing the markings on a lens.  Now, I'd like to think I'm not some amateur jackass with a camera just pulling the trigger on anything... but, I guess I sort of am.  I don't have a formal education in photography, but I'm trying to increase my knowledge. 

To the point, though.  I learned, just last night, that I can overcome this focusing issue by finagling the aperture and film speed settings on my camera just so to produce a very wide zone for my focal depth.  I did not know.

This information would have been nice this past weekend.  But, I learned and hopefully at the Japanese Festival next weekend I will be able to utilize the information and take better pictures. 

The afore mentioned roll of film has not yet been developed, will post pictures later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment